Formerly a separate package, Process and Design FMEA is now fully integrated in RAM Commander. This module performs Process/Design potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis.
Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) is a natural continuation, and in many cases inseparable part of the Reliability Analysis. Previously a separate software package, FMECA is now a fully-integrated RAM Commander module. FMECA module uses a product tree previously created by the user for the reliability analysis purposes.
Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA) is a natural continuation, and in many cases inseparable part of the Reliability Analysis. Previously a separate software package, FMECA is now a fully-integrated RAM Commander module. FMECA software tool uses a product tree previously created by the RAM Commander user for the reliability analysis purposes.
The RAM Commander FMECA module is suitable for both hardware and functional approaches to FMECA, and fully complies with MIL-STD-1629 A, commercial standards, and Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) requirements, and supports the functional safety analysis according to IEC 61508. RAM Commander FMECA software module makes the FMEA process easy and visible: the product tree and the sequence of Failure Modes => Next Higher Effects => End Effects for each item are completely visible in the same window. Extensive use of the FMECA Libraries facilitates the process even more and contributes to the accuracy of the performed analyses and reports. You can perform both the FMEA and FMECA calculating failure mode ratios, conditional probabilities and item criticality numbers.
• Typical Failure Modes - based on FMD-97, FMD-2013, CENELEC EN 50129, AREMA, NSWC-11, IEC-62380 • Typical Failure Modes - custom • Standard Failure Modes • End Effects & Severities • Failure Mode Full Description • Test methods and types • Severities, Criticality groups, Failure classes
FMECA Module Features
• Multiple phases, different EE severity in different phases • Full FM-NHE-EE chain input with unlimited number of NHE (Next Higher Effect) • Functional Blocks, analysis on components or on functional level • Customizable additional fields, customizable field names • More than 50 reports: FMEA, Criticality Matrix, Criticality Analysis and more • Graphical Fault Isolation Tree • Fault Tree Report, automated fault tree creation in FTA Software Module • Import/Export to and from Excel • Report Generator
Testability Analysis sub-module of the FMECA module is intended for in-depth Testability analysis. The main characteristics of Testability - BIT/Detection Coverage and Fault Isolation Resolution - can be calculated for each maintenance level (Organizational, Intermediate, Depot) and for specific detection methods (BIT, BITE, external test equipment, etc.). Test method efficiency and indication are defined for each test method or a group of test methods.
Testability analysis is widely used for the development of the required supporting documentation: maintenance manuals, troubleshooting procedures and inspection requirements.
Test coverage report shows the percentage of failures covered by a chosen test.
Formerly a separate package, Process and Design FMEA is now fully integrated in RAM Commander. This software tool performs Process/Design Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis. The uniqueness of the RAM Commander's approach to Process/Design FMEA is reflected in the graphical presentation of the process flow or product design diagram:
Main window of the RAM Commander Process & Design FMEA
Here are the basic tasks supported by the Process & Design FMEA module:
• Decompose the system or process into components or sub-processes.
• For each functional block, define name & function, enter failure mode causes and effects manually or from the libraries.
• Process & Design FMEA module provides full graphical and textual visibility of the Potential Failure Mode => Cause => Effects chain
What is A Potential Failure Mode?
The manner in which a component, subsystem, or system could potentially fail to meet the design intent. The potential failure mode could also be the cause of a potential failure mode in a higher level subsystem or system, or be the effect of a potential failure.
Edit cause dialog contains corrective actions and RPN (risk priority number)
RAM Commander FMEA module contains also Decision Making support for possible recommended corrective actions brainstorming, recording and selection. Proposed corrective actions are recorded, prioritized using different criteria and selected:
Process/Design FMEA Features
• Compliant with AIAG and QS-9000 PFMEA • Supports the concurrent updating of FMEA documents • Compliant with safety and hazard analysis standards • Assures isolation and elimination of all critical failure modes & causes • Facilitates processing of experts' occurrence and detection assessments • Decision Making support for Corrective Actions • Embedded drawing tool for process flowchart/part mapping • Multiple analysis levels (Sub-FMEAs) • Corrective actions evaluation by Feasibility, Cost, Duration, Risk etc. • Data transfer from FMECA • Automatically build FTA from FMEA • Team work - Severity, Occurrence and Detection ranking by multiple team members, manually or using wireless voting devices.
1. Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) is widely used by manufacturing industries during various phases of the product life cycle. Recently the service industries have started applying this methodology more extensively. Potential FMEA is described by AIAG, QS-9000, SAE J 1739, IEC 60812, JEP131 and other standards, sometimes is called "automotive" or "AIAG" (Automotive Industry Action Group) FMEA. It is required by many other standards like ISO 14971 (Application of risk management to medical devices) and more.
Potential FMEA is an analytical technique utilized to assure that as a mean to assure that potential failure modes and their associated causes/mechanisms have been considered and addressed to the extent possible. Corrective actions are suggested and selected for implementation, and a control plan is formed as a part of the procedure.
Potential FMEA deals with Severity, Occurrence and Detection rankings. Multiplication of these three ranks gives us a Risk Priority Number (RPN), which is an integrated measure of risk.
Any entity like product, process, software, or system may be a subject of this analysis.
The screenshot below illustrates FMEA example done using RAM Commander software:
2. Hardware FMEA and FMECA (Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis) is one of the major components of system reliability analysis. It is required and compatible with MIL-STD-1629A and other standards (like GJB 1391, GJB 1392, AIR FORCE SMC REGULATION 800-31 and more). Many standards and regulations for aerospace, defense, telecommunications, electronics and other industries require that FMECA analysis must be performed for all designed/manufactured/acquisition systems, especially if they are mission or safety critical.
FMECA includes failure analysis, criticality analysis and testability analysis. FMECA is designed to analyze different failure modes and their effects on the system, classify and prioritize end effects level of importance based on failure rate and severity of the failure effect.
Testability analysis is also a part of FMECA module and is used to analyze methods of failure mode detection/isolation, perform fault diagnostics, validate test efficiency and find undetectable failures. FMECA module uses a product tree previously created for the reliability analysis purposes. It also incorporates reliability and maintainability information received as a result of reliability and maintainability analysis.
The screenshot below illustrates FMECA example provided by the RAM Commander software:
ALD Ltd. (Advanced Logistics Development) is a world leader in Reliability Engineering, Safety and Quality Solutions. ALD Ltd. has a number of subsidiaries and representations around the world. The company is handling hundreds of Reliability, Maintainability and Safety Projects around the world. ALD RAMS, ILS, FRACAS, Quality Solutions are provided in a form of: Software(RAM Commander, DLCC, FRACAS) Services Training
AIAA American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics AIAG Automotive Industry Action Group ASQ American Society for Quality - leading quality improvement organization in USA ASRANet Integrating Advanced Structural Analysis with Structural Reliability Analysis More...